RSS

Day 10. Monday, August 8, 2011.

MY FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!

My alarm went off at 6:10... i snoozed it until 6:18. then i got up, waited for the bathroom to open, then took a shower and did my hair and blah blah blah. i went downstairs with my notebook, a pencil, and the agenda i was given.  i was thinking i don't need a bag its just these things they shouldn't give us a ton of stuff its the first day. i got downstairs and was given a bottle of water (normal water) and an umbrella... okay more to carry. then i ate a banana and we left.  when we got to the school peggy asked me if i was nervous... my answer: OHHH YEAHHHH!

So peggy took me in and i met some people and then my teacher and he took me to the room and then i found Clara, my councilor's daughter. she helped me a lot. she translated for me the whole day. but still it was kinda boring. i didnt know what the teachers were saying (except for the few bits and pieces that Clara told me) and i didnt know what the kids were saying.

It started out in homeroom i guess. we talked about the sailing trip and assigned the groups for cooking/cleaning/etc. im in a group with Clara (who by the way looks nearly identical to my friend Abby from my school) and 2 other girls (i don't know who though). then after an hour and a half of that we had a break. so then we stood outside for 15 minutes (i was with laura) then went back in the same classroom for German. I understood nothing again and then he asked us to write a poem. A poem... in german... about our summer holiday.... with 8 lines... that rhymed... and it had to have the same amount of syllables in every line! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT!? so Clara and i worked together to write about my flight to Germany. That was so hard... trying to translate what happened on my flight to german and make it rhyme. and its homework... we didn't finish so i dont know if Clara is going to finish it - i definitely can't.

so after german it was time for ... you guessed it ... ENGLISH! yay! so i actually paid attention to this class and we did a running dictation. Clara ran to a paper and memorized a part of it and ran back to me and told me and i had to write it down. then someone else corrected it. ha! they marked everything ... including when i use a capital letter instead of a lowercase and when i spelled center c-e-n-t-e-r instead of c-e-n-t-r-e (fyi - they learn British English)

after english it was time for another 15 minute break so we did the same thing... i stayed with clara this time. i noticed every time we have a break either the 15 minute break or the 5 minute break between classes, the kids are eating... not just like a little snack or candy they are eating a sandwich. people in german eat sooo much all the time. I think it is because most of their meals involve a lot of bread and it digests so fast that they are hungry an hour later ( i have noticed it with me too).

after the break we went back to the same classroom (some of us anyway) for religion. there are 2 religion classes - Protestant and catholic. i am in the protestant class with laura and clara (if you dont have a religion you have to pick which one you want to go in). it turns out that all this teacher ever does is talk so the people who don't care either talk to other people (which i cant do), text to other people (which i cant do), or doodle...DING DING DING! we have a winner... i wrote my name a million times in cursive on a piece of paper... the whole class.

After religion it was time for my favorite class (sarcasm)... physics. for physics we actually had to move to a different room... a different building actually. so we get there and clara and i go through the whole im a exchange student thing for the millionth time to the teacher and then sit down.  then they talked a little and i sat there. then he started teaching and i sat there. i didnt do anything because i didnt know what was going on. then finally the bell rang (which is a pretty cool bell compared to ours at CASHS) and then we finally got to go home (it was 1:05 pm). laura and i walked home both complaining about how tired we were. we got home and had lunch. then laura and peggy and i went to the store to buy me a coat and school supplies. we went back to the store that is like walmart (i never can remember the name) and bought a rain coat that is black and has a red fuzzy lining. it cost 35.95 euros... the cheapest we found. then we got me some school suppiles. i got a binder and dividers and notebooks and stuff that i needed. then we went to the electronic store so i could take back the headset that i bought and didnt need and i got my 10 euros back.  then we went home and had dinner and then i spent the rest of the night organizing and answering how my first day of school was from a million people. and then i went to bed at 11.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 comments:

Anna said...

hahaha do you mean globus?? for the store that's like wal-mart.

Katie King said...

no i looked at the recipe... it is Real.

Post a Comment